Sunday, October 16, 2016

Designated Survivor

Fall TV is in full swing, so my free time is becoming hard to manage, hence why I am up at three AM tonight.

I've been watching Designated Survivor and it is really good, Kiefer Sutherland in yet another tense thriller, but unlike 24 which basically descended into torture glorification, we instead have a thoughtful and interesting political thriller that tries to handle the issues in a mature manner.

I watch it and to me it feels like someone wanted to do the 9/11 response right but didn't want to deal with the fallout from trying to rewrite history, which is probably wise. It actually kind of makes me mad when I see how the characters react in this compared to how real life ended up going. I mean, that is the point of fiction but man, I wish Kiefer Sutherland was president instead of GW Bush back then.

There is an element of wish fulfillment present that could get pretty annoying if they go hard on it, but for the time being I am digging the whole show, except for the kids, I don't care about the kids, in a show featuring a completely unprepared man trying his best to be president of the USA, the trials of his teenage son dealing E because he is bored or some shit just doesn't interest me at all.

Watch it though, it's good TV.

No comments: